PANZERWELTEN-FORUM

Normale Version: 10 Gallon Crab Tank
Du siehst gerade eine vereinfachte Darstellung unserer Inhalte. Normale Ansicht mit richtiger Formatierung.
I have a 10 gallon tank housing an adult flower crab (Sesarmops intermedium). I was wondering if I can keep a female flower crab with a group of three mangrove spider crabs (Neosarmatium meinerti) in the same tank.

Would they end up fighting in a tank that size? Perhaps I can add more hiding places than crabs if that is the case?

Thanks in advance! =]
Frist sorry for bad "school english" A 10-gallon tank has this size. 20 "(50 cm) x 10" (25 cm) x 12 "(30 cm) right? I think that's too small for just one Flower Crab or just OK... 10 Gallons are 38Liter , we recommended for 3 crabs of this type a 112L tank, thats about 30 gallons. Maybe you can add a picture of your tank , personal interest Icon_wink We also recommend keeping at least 2 animals, you should rather buy a bigger tank, to keep 2 or 3 Crabs of this type.
If you want to keep 1 flower crab and 2 or 3 Neosarmatium meinerti you should buy a tank with size about 50 gallons or more
Hi & welcome Paul! Icon_wink

Indeed 10 gallons would really be too small for more than one crab. In general you can keep different mangrove crabs together in one tank (while a little risk stays always) – they behave as aggressive or peaceful with members of the same species as with members of related species).

There should always be more hiding places than crabs, but for four crabs of that size Your tank should at least have a length of 40 inches or some 25 or 30 gallons. The bigger the better, but that would be the minimum requirements.
Thanks for the advice. ^^

@8ull3t - I'll probably stick with the one crab. Not much room, see. =X

Will post a screenshot later. =P

@Beastiependent - Aww... that's a shame. My tank's length only reaches to 23 inches.

Just out of curiosity, why does a crab as small as 3 cm require so much space? It barely uses the space I give it.

I'd also like to know more about flower crabs like their behavior, preferred water pH, or any special requirements for this specie of crabs. I've looked around the net and didn't find much info on them.
Oh and can flower crabs become accustomed to their owners? I've heard red clawed crabs can be. Does the same go for flower crabs?
Paul, sorry, we were on a conference in Frankfurt some days… The crabs are quite territorial, even if they don't use all the space they aquire. Icon_wink

Water pH seems not very important if only the crabs are accustomed slowly to new water parameters.

They can't be "tamed" but if You stand their tank in a room where movements happen the crabs will adjust to that movements and not run away every time anybody is moving in front of their aquaterrarium.
It's alright. I've been a bit busy myself. =X

One more question: Would it be alright to have only a pair of Neosarmatium meinerti or is 3 highly recommended?
A pair is at least better than a single animal Icon_wink
Better save up for a 40 inch tank, then.

Thank you so much for answering my questions! I can't stress enough how hard it was to look for sites that provide info on true crabs. >.<
That's what we're here for, so don't hesitate to ask if You need to know something. Icon_wink