PANZERWELTEN-FORUM

Normale Version: Freshwater or brackish?
Du siehst gerade eine vereinfachte Darstellung unserer Inhalte. Normale Ansicht mit richtiger Formatierung.
Hi,

I have read mixed information on the salinity of Pseudosesarma moeshi. In their natural habitat I have read it ranges from fresh-marine, but some keepers suggest freshwater is harmful to them. I can't find any information as to how salty the brackish should be.

Anyway, what salinity would you recommend? Grams per litre would be helpful Smile
Dea Ryan,

Pseudosesarma moeschii live in mangal forests in South East Asia near the coast and up the rivers a few kilometers. Usually they live in their burrows and come out grazing for food at low tide, when there is no water. Although they are perfectly capable of submersing and breathing underwater, indeed when they suspend time on land they have to bring their water supply inside their branchial chambers to breathe! As members of the crab family Sesarmidae (mangrove crabs) they have a unique breathing system where on land they let out the water trough the exhale openings in the face, then it runs over their "beard", a fine net of setae (hairs) where it is enriched with oxygen again and then intaken at the bases of the legs again.

So this species can cope with pure seawater (although I don't know if on longterm, but shortly) as well as with freshwater. But in captivity You should stick with one salinity, rapid changes seem to harm them (other than in nature). If You want, You can salten up the water with 5 or 10 grams per litre (pure seawater has some 32 to 38 grams), but it is not necessary. We had this species and others in pure freshwater for up to 8 years – no problems. With Perisesarma species for instance it is not sure yet wether they can sope with freshwater in longterm, but Pseudosesarma can without any doubt. Icon_wink

BTW Icon_wink The correct name is Pseudosesarma moeschi. The Dutch man Johannes Govertus De Man described the species in the year 1892 and dedicated it to a Mr. O. Moesch from Zurich (Switzerland) who collected the specimen in Sumatra. In German (which is also spoken in Austria and Switzerland) the "sch" is the equivalent to Your english "sh" and spoken the same.

It was first described then as "Sesarma Moeschii n. sp." (before that it was believed this species was no own species but belonged to Sesarma intermedia). The name was obviously corrected sometime later with only one "i" in the end because that already was the latin ending for Moesch. moeschii with two "i" would only have been correct if the man would have been named Moeschi. Don't want to appear as a wise guy (although to be honest: I am *g*) but I think it might be interesting. And: With the correct name You find more and better (!) information in the internet. Icon_wink
Hi!

I have wondered what those hair things are, thanks for the info Smile

I will probably go with 5 grams per litre.

Do the crab's larvae have adaptations to changing salinity? If I'm correct don't the larvae get released, washed down stream into the sea and then come back up as crabs, therefore having a wide range of salinitys?

I think the reason I have been writing 'moeshi' instead of 'moeschi' is that many sites seem to have 'moeshi', however this is largely English sites.

You are a wise guy so you can act as such- its a good thing (in my opinion) to be very detailed and bring things up like spelling mistakes, as it helps prevent me giving others wrong information on things like names.

I'm not sure there is better information than on here Smile
I see what you mean though. For quick questions google is more convenient. What are some good German crab sites? I can search 'Pseudosesarma moeschi' on google and still only find rubbish English sites.
Hi Ryan,

(Monday, 16. March 2015, 21:45)FishForLife2001 schrieb: [ -> ]Do the crab's larvae have adaptations to changing salinity? If I'm correct don't the larvae get released, washed down stream into the sea and then come back up as crabs, therefore having a wide range of salinitys?
Yes and no *g*. Sure, when they are washed from the river or mangroves into the sea they have a change in salinity. In the laborities and especially the rearing experiments at the keepers changing salinity is not very good I think. It's more a guess though… But there were experiments at what salinities the most larvae survived, have to search it out.

Zitat:I think the reason I have been writing 'moeshi' instead of 'moeschi' is that many sites seem to have 'moeshi', however this is largely English sites.
Yeah, sure. That's why I "stopped" You so the (small) error does not duplicate again and again. Icon_wink

Zitat:You are a wise guy so you can act as such
Hah, You should say that to all the people I'm nerving with it Icon_mrgreen

Zitat:…and bring things up like spelling mistakes, as it helps prevent me giving others wrong information on things like names.
That's the point. Thank You for seeing and naming it.

Zitat:I'm not sure there is better information than on here Smile
Thx Smile

Zitat:What are some good German crab sites? I can search 'Pseudosesarma moeschi' on google and still only find rubbish English sites.
Ooomph, uhm, good crab sites? Well, I know only those of scientists or those which are driven by national authorities counselled by scientists like Wild singapore (which is no crab site of course)… There are some websites that do concern with invertebrates but there also crabs are mostly "sidekicks"… Tiny freshwater shrimp are big here (and in Austria and Asia), even crayfish, snails etc. lost a lot of ground in the last years against the shrimp hype.
I will look it up, seems interesting Smile

Ah! I have found the search function on here! It isn't very obvious on Tapatalk. I should be able to answer any quick questions by searching on there.

Here shrimp are becoming popular too. Not to the degree of popularity in other places but they are still common now. Crabs are not popular here though. The only ones seen are Pseudosesarma moeschi and Geosesarma dennerle, and perhaps a few other species. Snails are popular too, although crayfish are not as the smaller species are banned here.