Panzerwelten.de -> Startseite
News Forum Artensteckbriefe Ueber uns Ueber uns Instagram Impressum Links

Themabewertung:
  • 0 Bewertung(en) - 0 im Durchschnitt
crabs for identification (probably Sundathelphusa sp.)
Hi, i recently bought a pair of crabs from my local fish shop. Sadly, i dont know what species is it. Heres some pics for identification.

Male:
[Bild: IMG_3169.jpg]
[Bild: IMG_3170.jpg]
[Bild: IMG_3171.jpg]

Female:
[Bild: IMG_3160.jpg]
[Bild: IMG_3161.jpg]
[Bild: IMG_3164.jpg]
Hi Lucas,

as stated in my mail, I'll have a look the next days Icon_wink
Maat et joot, 'ne schöne Jrooß un bess demnähx, Ollie (vorher BEASTIE bzw. BEASTIEPENDENT)

[Bild: pw-mangroven7_312px.jpg] 
Krabben und andere Crustaceen (Krebstiere),
Muscheln, Schnecken und Zwergkrallenfrösche, Minidrachen (Zwergbartagamen + Hausgeckos) und Schlangen in rund 30 Becken
Hello,
it seems to be the "Kürbiskrabbe" like this Kürbiskrabbe
In my expirienc they live 90 % under water and need only some spotz to climb out of water.
Regards
Andreas
Gruß Andreas

out of order
I saw some pics of the kurbiskrabbe and also think that it may be a kurbiskrabbe. Right now, i am keeping them as a land crab and, if needed, will convert to a water setup.

Heres what i observed about their behaviour:

1. They like to soak in water
2. They are inquisitive and not afraid of coming out in the day
3. They are quite territorial and protect their burrows fiercely

How big a tank is needed for a pair of these crabs? i am currently keeping them in a 1.5 ft tank.
Mine are acting very different:

1 has dug out an impressive burrow which is closed during daytime (entrance hole covered with earth). She hardly touches water these days.
1 female ist permanently under water
The last male is most of the time on land, hidden under some wood.

The 2nd male has been killed.

As some people have reported fierce fighting with casualties, they seem to be rather territorial. Which means that they do need some more space to be able to avoid each other. 1.5ft tanks means about 45cm ? That will be, under these circumstances, far too small. I would give them at least a 1-1.5metre tank with a very well structured habitat which gives plenty of possibilites for hiding.

I would also recommend a larger waterarea with at least 2 different possibilities to get in and out of the water. This way it wouldnt be possible for one of the crabs to block the way into and out of the water.
Gruß!

Hans-Jürgen Günter
aka Püffi
Ihr sucht ein Buch über Krabben? Hier ist es:

Die Krabbenfibel, Von Monika Rademacher & Ollie Mengedoht, erschienen im Dähne Verlag
-----------
Aqua-Terrarium.de hat für immer geschlossen. Die Landzonen gibt es weiterhin hier:
http://www.aquarien-schrank.de/epages/62...s/Landzone
Hi puffi, my crabs love to dig too. They dont really dig burrows, just dig up small holes here and there. As a result, all my plants are uprooted.
Bythe way, heres some personal observations about the crabs

Male:
He is very timid and likes hiding in the day, coming out only at night. When he emerges at night, he will first head for the water bowl, where he will eat and drink. Then, he will explore the tank for the rest of the night. When he and the female are together in the waterbowl, he will raise his claws and the female will escape. However, he has never really attacked the female before.

Female:
She is very daring, and come out even in the day. She likes to explore the tank and soak in the water bowl. She also likes digging holes, and is always trying to find an escape route

Both:
Both of them show no sign of aggression when they see each other on land. However, both of them defend their hiding places fiercely.

By the way, i think a 1-1.5m tank is a bit hard for me to get. I will try to get a 2ft tank as soon as possible.
Hi again Smile

What is the Size of your crabs? Are they both equally large? Or is one a lot larger than the other?
Gruß!

Hans-Jürgen Günter
aka Püffi
Ihr sucht ein Buch über Krabben? Hier ist es:

Die Krabbenfibel, Von Monika Rademacher & Ollie Mengedoht, erschienen im Dähne Verlag
-----------
Aqua-Terrarium.de hat für immer geschlossen. Die Landzonen gibt es weiterhin hier:
http://www.aquarien-schrank.de/epages/62...s/Landzone
Hello,
I have 3.5 in a 1.50 m tank with 20 cm Water. The size is verry different from 2,5 cm to 4,5 cm and there are no problems.
Gruß Andreas

out of order
Grooves on carapace and scissors are quite different. That's not the "Pumpkin crab" (that would be the translation of Kürbiskrabbe). But I just took a very short look…
Hey Olli,
do you think it´s not the Pumpkin-crab? I can´t find different objects!
Gruß Andreas

out of order
Good mornin'

As I said:
(Monday, 10. August 2009, 22:41)BEASTIEPENDENT schrieb: That's not the "Pumpkin crab"…
Icon_wink Your new crabs a missing for example the sharp groove in the middle of the cristae.
Maat et joot, 'ne schöne Jrooß un bess demnähx, Ollie (vorher BEASTIE bzw. BEASTIEPENDENT)

Muscheln, Schnecken und Zwergkrallenfrösche, Minidrachen (Zwergbartagamen + Hausgeckos) und Schlangen in rund 30 Becken
Do you need more details to identify them? I can take more detailed pics if needed.
Hi Lucas,

more details can't be wrong, but right now I just don't find the time to take a closer look. In the best case I'll get it at the weekend…

Useful would be detailed photos from the face, mouthparts, scissors and of course one from a male pleon! Your pictures from carapace and legs are useful already… At best You'd sent them to me in the highest possible resolution to beastie@panzerwelten.de – there is no mailbox-limit.

Hi beastie, i took the pics and thought that i would post it here.

Male:
pincer
[Bild: IMG_3188.jpg]
face
[Bild: IMG_3189.jpg]
legs
[Bild: IMG_3191.jpg]
pleon
[Bild: IMG_3190.jpg]

Female:
pincer
[Bild: IMG_3182.jpg]
face
[Bild: IMG_3180.jpg]
legs
[Bild: IMG_3185.jpg]
pleon
[Bild: IMG_3183.jpg]
Good! Finally: face from a little more above please so that I can see the upper face (the median triangle, sometimes called rostrum). There is a prominent crista there I need in detail. Icon_wink
Hi beastie here are more pics of my crabs' faces

[Bild: IMG_3201.jpg]
[Bild: IMG_3200.jpg]
[Bild: IMG_3199.jpg]
[Bild: IMG_3195.jpg]
I think this is a Sundathelphusida, but I'm not sure which species exactly. Not very much is known about the habitats of this genus and its species. Maybe it could be a Holthuisana, but I would refer to it as Sundathelphusa sp.

Could You find out where they come from?

Hello Olli, are not this the animals who also has mr-krabs as geothelphusas? or aristocratama it also has if these are they... Greeting Phil

@ Lucas, can you please say me, how big are your crabs? - thanks Icon_wink
I have no idea who else has these Icon_wink
Hello Olli, look here and here

and crustapoint has also these crabs? look here and look here

But I'm not sure, if they are the same crabs as here?
Not sure to say from these pics. Since that female has different sized claws it could be.

But Crustapoint has these ones too, yes, as I know from Rene, who posted a usable face-picture on his board.
Hi guys,

The crab has a carapace of 4 cm. I asked the shop where did the crab come from, however, they didnt know. I guess it would be either from thailand or indonesia, as almost all the crabs in singapore come from there.

Kontakt | PANZERWELTEN.de | Nach oben | | Archiv-Modus | RSS-Synchronisation

Achtung: Für alle Fotos auf dieser Domain gilt: Urheber- und alle anderen Rechte (soweit nicht anders vermerkt) bei Oliver Mengedoht, alle Bilder und Bildschirm-Hintergründe sind ausschließlich zur privaten Nutzung freigegeben! Jegliche sonstige oder kommerzielle Nutzung ist ohne ausdrückliche Genehmigung des Bildautors nicht genehmigt!

Keine Veröffentlichung (ob Print, Internet oder andere Medien) ohne Absprache und Autorenhinweis!
(Veröffentlichung ohne Autorennennung: 100 % Aufschlag nach Tarif.  Veröffentlichung ohne Absprache: 400 % Aufschlag nach Tarif)

Sie haben Fragen oder wollen ein oder mehrere Bilder veröffentlichen? Gerne, nach Rücksprache mit mir:
Oliver Mengedoht

-Fotograf & Journalist-
Richard-Wagner-Straße 18, 45657 Recklinghausen
 -----
E-Mail:foto@oliver-mengedoht.de
Internet: www.oliver-mengedoht.de=====
St.Nr.: 212/5158/0643