Panzerwelten.de -> Startseite
News Forum Artensteckbriefe Ueber uns Ueber uns Instagram Impressum Links

Themabewertung:
  • 0 Bewertung(en) - 0 im Durchschnitt
Geosesarma sp. "Red" mottled coloration
Hello, I have had my group of 10 Geosesarma sp. "Red" (red carapace & black legs) for a few weeks now and I have noticed that one or more of the crabs have a brown mottled coloration on their legs and carapace while others are shiny black and bright red. Are the mottled individuals getting ready to molt?
Hi Swords,

I wouldn't say so. Coloration is variable to some degree and dependent on the "mood" of the crab too. There are crabs that become paler before a molting (e.g. Cardisoma armatum) but we wouldn't know that from Geosesarma. Maybe they try to adapt to the substrat.
Maat et joot, 'ne schöne Jrooß un bess demnähx, Ollie (vorher BEASTIE bzw. BEASTIEPENDENT)

[Bild: pw-mangroven7_312px.jpg] 
Krabben und andere Crustaceen (Krebstiere),
Muscheln, Schnecken und Zwergkrallenfrösche, Minidrachen (Zwergbartagamen + Hausgeckos) und Schlangen in rund 30 Becken
Someone on the Junglebox forum named Rangia linked to me a slideshow of your photos of the red Geosesarma on this page the crabs on the right side of the first photo:

http://www.panzerwelten.de/v/Geosesarma/...9.jpg.html

There are a number of them in that slide show who are exhibiting the same "brown mottling" I've seen on one or two of mine. Apparently this is OK and normal? Perhaps the brown mottled ones are juveniles or sub adults?

Why do your crabs cluster together in those photos? Mine all stay quite to themselves and usually only come out from their burrows to hunt one at a time. One will grab some food and disappear and then another will come out. Once I counted six but all in their own areas, not together as a group. When I got them people said they were communal and liked to hang out together like in your pics but mine do not exhibit this behavior.
Hi Sowrds,

yes, if that is what You meant with mottling it is normal. Juveniles are the five pictures from 2010-05-28__DSC7536.jpg to 2010-05-28__DSC7544.jpg.

They cluster together because I made photos with them – obviously I can't use anything where every crab is hiding in a different place Icon_mrgreen so I push them a little bit here and there so for some seconds they will sit together. They don't behave so in their tank or in natural environment, Youre's behave quite normally. Icon_wink
Maat et joot, 'ne schöne Jrooß un bess demnähx, Ollie (vorher BEASTIE bzw. BEASTIEPENDENT)

[Bild: pw-mangroven7_312px.jpg] 
Krabben und andere Crustaceen (Krebstiere),
Muscheln, Schnecken und Zwergkrallenfrösche, Minidrachen (Zwergbartagamen + Hausgeckos) und Schlangen in rund 30 Becken

Kontakt | PANZERWELTEN.de | Nach oben | | Archiv-Modus | RSS-Synchronisation

Achtung: Für alle Fotos auf dieser Domain gilt: Urheber- und alle anderen Rechte (soweit nicht anders vermerkt) bei Oliver Mengedoht, alle Bilder und Bildschirm-Hintergründe sind ausschließlich zur privaten Nutzung freigegeben! Jegliche sonstige oder kommerzielle Nutzung ist ohne ausdrückliche Genehmigung des Bildautors nicht genehmigt!

Keine Veröffentlichung (ob Print, Internet oder andere Medien) ohne Absprache und Autorenhinweis!
(Veröffentlichung ohne Autorennennung: 100 % Aufschlag nach Tarif.  Veröffentlichung ohne Absprache: 400 % Aufschlag nach Tarif)

Sie haben Fragen oder wollen ein oder mehrere Bilder veröffentlichen? Gerne, nach Rücksprache mit mir:
Oliver Mengedoht

-Fotograf & Journalist-
Richard-Wagner-Straße 18, 45657 Recklinghausen
 -----
E-Mail:foto@oliver-mengedoht.de
Internet: www.oliver-mengedoht.de=====
St.Nr.: 212/5158/0643