Panzerwelten.de -> Startseite
News Forum Artensteckbriefe Ueber uns Ueber uns Instagram Impressum Links

Themabewertung:
  • 0 Bewertung(en) - 0 im Durchschnitt
Cardisoma quantami
Hello everyone!
There's a particular species of crab that I have been interested in for about 2 years now. The website www.tarantulaspiders.com will soon have the crab Cardisoma quantami (or "Giant Satanic Graveyard Robber Crab") available (estimated March).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14734284@N02/3696481753/
[Bild: 3696481753_c09fe2df2b.jpg]

I never got one before because it was extremely expensive and I couldn't care for an animal that large beyond a blue land crab that I also bought from him (Cardisoma guanhumi) named "Mister Bubbles" (Bioshock reference). I had that crab for almost a year but he passed away; I made the tragic miscalculation of leaving him alone with food and water at college over spring break [one week]. Apparently that water wasn't enough! Icon_sad

After that crab I gave up on crustaceans and opted for a baby Tegu named Taco. I love him very, very much! but he's hibernating now and I'm going into pet withdrawal Tongue

My question to all of you is; have any of you heard of this species or seen anything like it? Whenever I google Cardisoma quantami all I get are postings from the seller advertising it. I'm not even sure if it is a real scientific name. Also, how would you personally keep this animal if it were offered to you? The owner recommends a setup similar to any other large Cardisoma crabs (armatum, guanhumi). I'm currently planning a terrestrial reptile-type set up with two water bowls (one fresh, one salty. Yes I know not to use table salt), a food bowl, a place to hide, and decorations. Taco is currently living in a 40 gallon breeder and will probably outgrow it next winter; the crab can take over that enclosure once that happens. I'm asking you guys first though because I apparently did something wrong the first time, and I cant be 100% sure that dessication was the actual cause of death or some other unknown factor.

Thanks for your help!
Welcome to the Panzerwelten-Forum Smile

As far as I can see the scientific name is probably not valid. I know of these species in Cardisoma:

Cardisoma armatum
Cardisoma carnifex
Cardisoma crassum
Cardisoma guanhumi

But maybe Moni + Ollie can verify that.

The english name is rather horrible too by the way. I see that american dealer are as idiotic with creating names as german ones Icon_wink

I have no idea why your cardisoma died. How much water did you leave him and how did the tank look like? Was the water gone when you returned? We need a few more informations to be able to guess what caused its death.

The 40 Gallon Tank: Can you please give us the measurements (if possible in cm *g*)

Your new crab will be adapted to Landlife, but it still may need to sit - fully covered - in water when it comes to molting. At least thats the case with cardisoma armatum. I would guess bowls are not big enough for that.

If the crab is 15cm in width (just the carapaxe), then it will have a wingspan of 45-50 cm! You will need a big tank for this species, at least 150cm x 50x 50. And I wouldnt be too sure that that will be big enough until the end of his lifespan.
Gruß!

Hans-Jürgen Günter
aka Püffi
Ihr sucht ein Buch über Krabben? Hier ist es:

Die Krabbenfibel, Von Monika Rademacher & Ollie Mengedoht, erschienen im Dähne Verlag
-----------
Aqua-Terrarium.de hat für immer geschlossen. Die Landzonen gibt es weiterhin hier:
http://www.aquarien-schrank.de/epages/62...s/Landzone
Hi Tupinambis,

there IS no Cardisoma quantami *lol*, funny name. That seller has good fantasy and whants to be paid for that obviously. Icon_mrgreen What You pictured here seems to be Gecarcinus ruricola. From where shall the crab come from (or at least, in which country does the seller reside)?
Maat et joot, 'ne schöne Jrooß un bess demnähx, Ollie (vorher BEASTIE bzw. BEASTIEPENDENT)

[Bild: pw-mangroven7_312px.jpg] 
Krabben und andere Crustaceen (Krebstiere),
Muscheln, Schnecken und Zwergkrallenfrösche, Minidrachen (Zwergbartagamen + Hausgeckos) und Schlangen in rund 30 Becken
Thank you all for your quick replies!
The "40gallon breeder" is 91cm x 45cm in floor dimensions. Now suddenly realizing how big that crab gets though, I have concluded that this too can only be a temporary enclosure. It was supposed to only be temporary for the C. guanhumi, and just now I realize that this new crab gets almost as large! Fortunately when I buy him he should be quite small.

The water bowls I offered to the C. guanhumi were meant for big dogs and were large enough for him to completely submerge in. Sometimes I would find him soaking in there with his eyes poking out like a crocodile. Oh, and yes the water bowl was empty but wasn't completely dry when I came back.

Also, I'm not sure if this is Gecarcinus ruricola, at least not a normal one anyway. Color seems very unique. Here are a few more pics.
[Bild: 3731614600_753441a096.jpg]
[Bild: 3731614660_8f16bc2b69.jpg]

These crabs are imported from Barbados, but the seller lives in the US. He is very reputable among the invertebrate community and seems to be well known among those who keep tarantulas.

Thank you again!
At least Barbados would fit since ruricola only is abundant on the islands, not on the main land. "Black land crab" would fit too. Icon_wink

Yes, 10 cm Carapace width is recorded at the least, and You have to add some 20 cm for the walking legs so Your tank would indeed be sufficient for some time, but not forever. He surely will search his humidity in the bowl when the substrate You keep him on is that dry as it looks on the photos. Don't get me wrong, that is okay. They need high humidity but if they can get water this way it is okay either although they can drown – but only over longer times like 10 hours or so, not within minutes.

Else it might well be a Johngarthia (same family, other genus), but only J. lagostoma has a similiar coloration but AFAIK on Barbados is J. weileri which is colored very differently.
Maat et joot, 'ne schöne Jrooß un bess demnähx, Ollie (vorher BEASTIE bzw. BEASTIEPENDENT)

Muscheln, Schnecken und Zwergkrallenfrösche, Minidrachen (Zwergbartagamen + Hausgeckos) und Schlangen in rund 30 Becken
Thank you all for your feedback!
I decided to reserve a juvenile from the seller for $45. It is expected to come some time in March, when it does I'll be sure to post pictures!Icon_mrgreen
Hey Tupi, Smile

beautiful crab! But seems to get quite huge Icon_eek . Even if the carapax is 10cm at the moment, I still won't let him recide in a cube under 2 Meters length. In my opinion a tank like that would be to small..

Do you know the size of the carapax at the moment you get it?

sincerely,
Timo

hallo tupi
it´s a very nice crab.Is the crab a man or a woman ?
Do you buy the crab in the internet or in UK / USA ?
a friend of my brother would like to buy the crab because he find the crab nice .

ciao philipp
Hey everyone!
I bought him from www.tarantulaspiders.com
He is a dealer in the USA, but I think he can ship overseas. You'd have to get into contact with him first.
http://www.tarantulaspiders.com/uploads/...020211.pdf
That's the order sheet.

I ordered a "juvenile". I'm not entirely sure how big he's gonna be when I first get him, but when I do (some time late March or early April) I'll be sure to let you guys know and upload pictures!
He also sells Cardisoma guanhumi Smile
(Friday, 25. February 2011, 18:42)cherax99 schrieb: hallo tupi
it´s a very nice crab.Is the crab a man or a woman ?
Do you buy the crab in the internet or in UK / USA ?
a friend of my brother would like to buy the crab because he find the crab nice .

ciao philipp

Irgendwie werde ich der Sache langsam müde.. bin ich da der einzige? Coffee1

Philipp..
Bitte lies die Beiträge anderer User richtig durch, denn nur so kann ein gutes Forum funktionieren. Wenn man in einen Thread geht liest man die Überschrift, den ersten Beitrag und alle folgenden Beiträge und macht, wenn sich Fragen oder Kommentarideen ergeben, einen (Beitrag). Wahllos Fragen auf Vermutungen zu stellen funktioniert nicht. Hier muss einer auf das Geschriebene des anderen reagieren, weil sonst die Funktion und der Nutzen eines Forums unter den Tisch fällt. Bitte beachte dies in Zukunft. Wenn du nicht weißt, was hier geschrieben wurde, warum auch immer, bitte ich dich nicht einfach zu posten.

mfg,
Timo

Sorry for the interruption. My text has nothing to do with the original topic theme, so please just ignore it.
Hallo Ihr lieben
Ich hole das mal wieder aus der Versenkung._Mir würden diese Tiere sehr gut gefallen,wißt oder seit ihr euch schon einig geworden, welche Art es jetzt nun ist? Wenn ja hält man die einzeln oder in Gruppen? Wenn ja in Gruppen zu wievielen Tieren? Könnte es eventuell die Art Discoplax hirtipes sein?
So als Leie fand ich das sehr ähnlich.Über eine Antwort würde ich mich sehr freuen
Liebe Grüße Sylvia
Hallo Sylvia, die Tiere auf den Fotos oben? Das sind wie beschrieben Gecarcinus ruricola. Unseres Wissens noch nie hier importiert. Nur ein aus Versehen im Strandspielzeug mitgebrachtes Baby hat mal acht Jahre bei einem Jungen hier gelebt.

Zur Haltung generell sollten unsere Artensteckbriefe zu den beiden anderen Gecarcinus-Arten einen guten Anhalt geben. Die sollten ähnlich sein.

Hallo Basti
Irgentwie komme hier durcheinander. Ich habe jetzt schon zweimal geantwortet und irgentwie kommt der Beitrag nicht rein. Auf ein neues.
Ich habe die Tiere angeboten bekommen und meine Bekannte will nicht sahgen woher sie sie hat,kann mir aber auch nicht den richtigen Namen nennen. Meinst du es kommt hin das es die ist?
Lg Sylvia
Hm, die einzigen, die Fundorte nicht preisgeben wollen, sind Fänger von neuen, unbekannten, farbenfrohen Arten, die Angst haben, dass andere Exporteure ihnen dann die Tiere dort wegschnappen. Gecarcinus ruricola ist auf den Karibischen Inseln weitverbreitet und läuft in Massenwanderungen zum Ablaichen zu den Stränden, da gibt es also nichts zu verheimlichen. Seltsam. Anyway: Beides ist G. ruricola.

Okay, it has been a long time but I have an update for everyone!
I did not end up getting the crab for a couple of reasons: 1. The seller was having a lot of issues getting the big guy out of Barbados, and 2. I decided that it would be far too difficult to care for both a large land crab AND an adult Tegu while I'm still in college. So I cancelled my order and got a refund Icon_sad

Also, It has been confirmed that this species is Gecarcinus ruricola.
[Bild: 35409_519808415515_290400371_719981_2403990_n.jpg]
[Bild: Gecarcinus-ruricola.png]
[Bild: pd3256768.jpg]

I will be making a new thread about my possible plans for the future though Smile

Kontakt | PANZERWELTEN.de | Nach oben | | Archiv-Modus | RSS-Synchronisation

Achtung: Für alle Fotos auf dieser Domain gilt: Urheber- und alle anderen Rechte (soweit nicht anders vermerkt) bei Oliver Mengedoht, alle Bilder und Bildschirm-Hintergründe sind ausschließlich zur privaten Nutzung freigegeben! Jegliche sonstige oder kommerzielle Nutzung ist ohne ausdrückliche Genehmigung des Bildautors nicht genehmigt!

Keine Veröffentlichung (ob Print, Internet oder andere Medien) ohne Absprache und Autorenhinweis!
(Veröffentlichung ohne Autorennennung: 100 % Aufschlag nach Tarif.  Veröffentlichung ohne Absprache: 400 % Aufschlag nach Tarif)

Sie haben Fragen oder wollen ein oder mehrere Bilder veröffentlichen? Gerne, nach Rücksprache mit mir:
Oliver Mengedoht

-Fotograf & Journalist-
Richard-Wagner-Straße 18, 45657 Recklinghausen
 -----
E-Mail:foto@oliver-mengedoht.de
Internet: www.oliver-mengedoht.de=====
St.Nr.: 212/5158/0643