Panzerwelten.de -> Startseite
News Forum Artensteckbriefe Ueber uns Ueber uns Instagram Impressum Links

Themabewertung:
  • 0 Bewertung(en) - 0 im Durchschnitt
India Crab
Today I received one Indian Crab, it was originally from South East India. And is around 6-7cm across altogether. The legs remind me a bit of P. panterina, as they are spotted, the body is a bit like a green shore crab in shape. I was sent a male, I assume they are a freshwater species. I can almost certainly get more of this species, male and female. Any idea what species, what can be found in South India? I arent able to get pictures for now, as I dont have my brothers mobile phone camera, but I should be able to get pictures later.

I am treating the crab as aquatic, it is acclimatising into a tropical water tank at the moment.
South India has a couple of freshwater species. Or better .. a lot Smile

We have to wait for your photos ...
Gruß!

Hans-Jürgen Günter
aka Püffi
Ihr sucht ein Buch über Krabben? Hier ist es:

Die Krabbenfibel, Von Monika Rademacher & Ollie Mengedoht, erschienen im Dähne Verlag
-----------
Aqua-Terrarium.de hat für immer geschlossen. Die Landzonen gibt es weiterhin hier:
http://www.aquarien-schrank.de/epages/62...s/Landzone
I managed to get some photo's, hopefully it helps identify the species. I am also hopeful of getting other species from the same region.

[Bild: indiacrab.jpg]

[Bild: indiacrab2.jpg]

[Bild: indiacrab3.jpg]

[Bild: indiacrab4.jpg]
I am pretty sure you got these:

http://www.panzerwelten.de/forum/showthread.php?tid=8

Easy to keep, true freshwater, stays under water most of the time, needs Land for breeding, difficult to breed, but not impossible Smile
Gruß!

Hans-Jürgen Günter
aka Püffi
Ihr sucht ein Buch über Krabben? Hier ist es:

Die Krabbenfibel, Von Monika Rademacher & Ollie Mengedoht, erschienen im Dähne Verlag
-----------
Aqua-Terrarium.de hat für immer geschlossen. Die Landzonen gibt es weiterhin hier:
http://www.aquarien-schrank.de/epages/62...s/Landzone
Yes, Püffi could be right. If it is an Oziotelphusa it could also be a Spiralothelphusa - both genera (and the spcific species) are only distinguishable by their gonopods since their carapax and other external characters are nearly identical!
Maat et joot, 'ne schöne Jrooß un bess demnähx, Ollie (vorher BEASTIE bzw. BEASTIEPENDENT)

[Bild: pw-mangroven7_312px.jpg] 
Krabben und andere Crustaceen (Krebstiere),
Muscheln, Schnecken und Zwergkrallenfrösche, Minidrachen (Zwergbartagamen + Hausgeckos) und Schlangen in rund 30 Becken
Thanks for the replies. Do you have any other general care advice for these? in case they are Spiralothelphusa, or is their care the same as Oziothelphusa?

I read in the link that they like to eat leaves, do the leaves need to be washed before hand? and do they prefer fresh or dried leaves?

How is land needed for breeding? are the young completly terrestrial? for now would it be ok to keep him completly aquatic, and only add land once I have more of them and can attempt to breed them?

Also, are they communal? or is there risks keeping them together?

I now have collection information, it was originally from Vellore, the species is found near ponds and in the bunds of rice fields.
Hideho Icon_wink

Kevin schrieb:Do you have any other general care advice for these? in case they are Spiralothelphusa, or is their care the same as Oziothelphusa?
No, should be absolutely the same.

Zitat:I read in the link that they like to eat leaves, do the leaves need to be washed before hand? and do they prefer fresh or dried leaves?
We don't wash 'em. Just make sure when You're collecting the leaves You are not too near by a heavy traffic street oder industries.

Zitat:How is land needed for breeding?
Some place where the female can dig a burrow. Terrarium humus does not seem to be good for the eggs, so You should better take sand.

Zitat:are the young completly terrestrial?
Not known, but not probable.

Zitat: for now would it be ok to keep him completly aquatic, and only add land once I have more of them and can attempt to breed them?
Definitely yes! Icon_wink
Maat et joot, 'ne schöne Jrooß un bess demnähx, Ollie (vorher BEASTIE bzw. BEASTIEPENDENT)

Muscheln, Schnecken und Zwergkrallenfrösche, Minidrachen (Zwergbartagamen + Hausgeckos) und Schlangen in rund 30 Becken
thanks again, so do the females deposit the eggs into a burrow? or are they carried in its pouch, and hatched that way?

Ideally I'd like to create a rice paddy biotope, with both land and water for these once I get more of them. For now its just an idea though, I need to plan what plants and vegetation would be suitable.
We don't know for sure. Our Oziothelphusa deposited the eggs in the ground – but they probably dried out, as the crab itself did either.

Shortly we got notice from a simliar brooding behaviour with another species: They lay eggs! Only when it is not wet enough they carry the eggs until they hatch and also carry the younglings for a while when there isn't enough humidity. Possibly it is the same with Oziothelphusa and other semiterrestrial crabs, e.g. Geosesarma, where the younglings need high humidity or even a real water body unless the adultis are more terrestrial.

Can these safely be kept with any fish? or will they try to attack or eat them?

I see in one of the photo's on the Oziothelphusa ceylonensis thread what appears to be a Guppy, Poecilia reticulata? or a related species.
Yes, they can be kept with Guppys but once in a while they can get one and eat it. Also they catch Paracheirodon and Siluroidei quickly.

I may try keeping some Guppies with them then once I get more of them, and a larger tank. I have a population of them in my Sirens tank which is getting a little crowded, the Sirens almost completly ignore them.
@Beastie - I just noticed you haven't answered one of the questions: "Also, are they communal? or is there risks keeping them together?"

Just thought I could use this info in the future. >.0
Hi Paul,

that is because it is not known. Remember we couldn't even ID the exact species but just two genera. But even if we could have ID'd it down to species level most probably noone would know anything about the ecology of this species. Icon_wink

Oh I see. Thanks for clearing that up. ^^

Kontakt | PANZERWELTEN.de | Nach oben | | Archiv-Modus | RSS-Synchronisation

Achtung: Für alle Fotos auf dieser Domain gilt: Urheber- und alle anderen Rechte (soweit nicht anders vermerkt) bei Oliver Mengedoht, alle Bilder und Bildschirm-Hintergründe sind ausschließlich zur privaten Nutzung freigegeben! Jegliche sonstige oder kommerzielle Nutzung ist ohne ausdrückliche Genehmigung des Bildautors nicht genehmigt!

Keine Veröffentlichung (ob Print, Internet oder andere Medien) ohne Absprache und Autorenhinweis!
(Veröffentlichung ohne Autorennennung: 100 % Aufschlag nach Tarif.  Veröffentlichung ohne Absprache: 400 % Aufschlag nach Tarif)

Sie haben Fragen oder wollen ein oder mehrere Bilder veröffentlichen? Gerne, nach Rücksprache mit mir:
Oliver Mengedoht

-Fotograf & Journalist-
Richard-Wagner-Straße 18, 45657 Recklinghausen
 -----
E-Mail:foto@oliver-mengedoht.de
Internet: www.oliver-mengedoht.de=====
St.Nr.: 212/5158/0643