Panzerwelten.de -> Startseite
News Forum Artensteckbriefe Ueber uns Ueber uns Instagram Impressum Links

Themabewertung:
  • 0 Bewertung(en) - 0 im Durchschnitt
Red geosesarma crab light & eating habbit frequenty
Hello

I started with a new batch of crabs last week but i have a few questions about them. Besides the dried shrimp they got when they where released they dont seem to touch their food. I gave more of the shrimps, some sera 'crabs natural' rings and just now i gave them mosquito larve but again, no action. Is it normal they eat that little? They do have some woodlouse wich they can eat but im not sure they are being eaten.

My second question is about the light. The tank has a TL light wich gives dim blue light but they dont ever leave their holes. I can see 2 of 3 with some searching (nr 3 has vanished) but im wondering, they prefer direct light or more dimmed?

Is this behaviour natural?
Yes, this behaviour is quite normal. Give them some time to settle in.

Light is of no concern for the crabs. Most of them are nocturnal and for watching those a blueish light is perfect.

About the amount of food ... your crabs weigh probably something like 10grams. Would the eat 1gram of food every day that would be 10% of their bodyweight. And 1 gram isnt that much ;-)

So stay calm and try different foods every day (only 1 sort each day). Carnivourous food is to be preferred. Try other frosted food (Gammarus, Shrimps) and also try bloodworms (alive). Or simple worms you find in the garden (also alive). They will hunt them sooner or later.

Have you got a picture of your setup?
Gruß!

Hans-Jürgen Günter
aka Püffi
Ihr sucht ein Buch über Krabben? Hier ist es:

Die Krabbenfibel, Von Monika Rademacher & Ollie Mengedoht, erschienen im Dähne Verlag
-----------
Aqua-Terrarium.de hat für immer geschlossen. Die Landzonen gibt es weiterhin hier:
http://www.aquarien-schrank.de/epages/62...s/Landzone
(Monday, 24. September 2012, 21:19)Püffi schrieb: Yes, this behaviour is quite normal. Give them some time to settle in.

Light is of no concern for the crabs. Most of them are nocturnal and for watching those a blueish light is perfect.

About the amount of food ... your crabs weigh probably something like 10grams. Would the eat 1gram of food every day that would be 10% of their bodyweight. And 1 gram isnt that much ;-)

So stay calm and try different foods every day (only 1 sort each day). Carnivourous food is to be preferred. Try other frosted food (Gammarus, Shrimps) and also try bloodworms (alive). Or simple worms you find in the garden (also alive). They will hunt them sooner or later.

Yeah, i made the light less bright cause i thoughd it was too bright for them Smile Those red mosquito larve, i can only find the frozen variety. Can i feed them those too? If yes, just defrost or heat them up a bit? Pictures of my setup is should have by wednesday. Still cleaning out the memorycards Smile
(Tuesday, 25. September 2012, 1:05)Ray butts schrieb:
(Monday, 24. September 2012, 21:19)Püffi schrieb: Yes, this behaviour is quite normal. Give them some time to settle in.

Yeah, i made the light less bright cause i thoughd it was too bright for them Smile Those red mosquito larve, i can only find the frozen variety. Can i feed them those too? If yes, just defrost or heat them up a bit? Pictures of my setup is should have by wednesday. Still cleaning out the memorycards Smile

As promised, my tank setup. Pardon me for the moist. Cant keep it clean Icon_sad I also added a pic of the only crab who allowed himself to be snapped. At an average, i can only see 2 out of 3 crabs. Third one is MIA. If these stay alive, i tend to add more.

(Thursday, 27. September 2012, 23:27)Ray butts schrieb:
(Tuesday, 25. September 2012, 1:05)Ray butts schrieb:

As promised, my tank setup. Pardon me for the moist. Cant keep it clean Icon_sad I also added a pic of the only crab who allowed himself to be snapped. At an average, i can only see 2 out of 3 crabs. Third one is MIA. If these stay alive, i tend to add more.

Wat i basicly did was build a large island on the left consisting of grind held in place by 2 large hollow rocks. The grind is coverd with coco nut turf, moss, sticks from a nearby forest, stones from the dirt path. It has 1 piece of mangrove wood (far left) and a large strunk of spider wood (right) The water is also coverd with the grind and has a charcoal filter, javamoss & Elodea Hydrocharitaceae to take out any nitrate & amoniak from the water. The water itself is treated with sera products against phosphates & nitrate concentrations. It has a blue tl-lamp i dimmed with a slice of a black plastic bag cause of the brightness.

I hope to add a mangroveplant one day to it so that the water will be filterded out 100% natural...

Angehängte Dateien Thumbnail(s)

Kontakt | PANZERWELTEN.de | Nach oben | | Archiv-Modus | RSS-Synchronisation

Achtung: Für alle Fotos auf dieser Domain gilt: Urheber- und alle anderen Rechte (soweit nicht anders vermerkt) bei Oliver Mengedoht, alle Bilder und Bildschirm-Hintergründe sind ausschließlich zur privaten Nutzung freigegeben! Jegliche sonstige oder kommerzielle Nutzung ist ohne ausdrückliche Genehmigung des Bildautors nicht genehmigt!

Keine Veröffentlichung (ob Print, Internet oder andere Medien) ohne Absprache und Autorenhinweis!
(Veröffentlichung ohne Autorennennung: 100 % Aufschlag nach Tarif.  Veröffentlichung ohne Absprache: 400 % Aufschlag nach Tarif)

Sie haben Fragen oder wollen ein oder mehrere Bilder veröffentlichen? Gerne, nach Rücksprache mit mir:
Oliver Mengedoht

-Fotograf & Journalist-
Richard-Wagner-Straße 18, 45657 Recklinghausen
 -----
E-Mail:foto@oliver-mengedoht.de
Internet: www.oliver-mengedoht.de=====
St.Nr.: 212/5158/0643