Panzerwelten.de -> Startseite
News Forum Artensteckbriefe Ueber uns Ueber uns Instagram Impressum Links

Themabewertung:
  • 0 Bewertung(en) - 0 im Durchschnitt
Rusty Crab? SOLVED: Sartoriana spinigera
What species is the "rusty crab" on this page, is it Heterothelphusa fatum?

http://www.franksaquarium.com/decapod.htm
Hmmmm ... could be anything.Ask him if he got other pictures, maybe we can see things more clearly then.
Gruß!

Hans-Jürgen Günter
aka Püffi
Ihr sucht ein Buch über Krabben? Hier ist es:

Die Krabbenfibel, Von Monika Rademacher & Ollie Mengedoht, erschienen im Dähne Verlag
-----------
Aqua-Terrarium.de hat für immer geschlossen. Die Landzonen gibt es weiterhin hier:
http://www.aquarien-schrank.de/epages/62...s/Landzone
I found this info on the sellers forum, apparantly its an Indian freshwater species,

http://www.franksaquarium.com/phpBB/view...7f9fd5d0a9

I dont know if the seller would reply back if I asked for more pictures, as I wouldnt be able to order directly from them, since they dont ship to the UK, I may be able to order crabs with the same name though, which I'd guess would likely be the same species.
Hi Kevin Icon_wink

First: I know this crab (or the genus), have to take a look at the weekend.

Second: You CAN write Frank and answer friendly, he's more a hobbyist than a business man (he's even registered here in our board but hasn'T posted yet) and will answer You (if he HAS more photos I don't know of course). He's a nice guy, tell him greetings from me. Icon_wink And ask where he's got 'em from. Since he is trying to build interest in freshwater/terrestrial crabs in the USA, „but the importers are so reluctant to bring in anything unusual. Very frustrating“ I think he will frankly tell You.
Maat et joot, 'ne schöne Jrooß un bess demnähx, Ollie (vorher BEASTIE bzw. BEASTIEPENDENT)

[Bild: pw-mangroven7_312px.jpg] 
Krabben und andere Crustaceen (Krebstiere),
Muscheln, Schnecken und Zwergkrallenfrösche, Minidrachen (Zwergbartagamen + Hausgeckos) und Schlangen in rund 30 Becken
Hi,

I'll send him an email then.
Frank has replied that he would be able to get more pictures, is there any particular pics that would be useful in identifying them?
Ahm, yep: Carapax seen from above, scissors (from the front, with scissor arms from the back/inside), from below (pleon), mouth parts…
Maat et joot, 'ne schöne Jrooß un bess demnähx, Ollie (vorher BEASTIE bzw. BEASTIEPENDENT)

Muscheln, Schnecken und Zwergkrallenfrösche, Minidrachen (Zwergbartagamen + Hausgeckos) und Schlangen in rund 30 Becken
Okay, found it – we both saw it here in the board: Sartoriana spinigera is correct.

Common species in India, German trivial name "Indische Trapezkrabbe" (which means "Indian Trapezoidal Crab").

Burrowing out of the water for reproduction. Live up to 3.000 meters high on the southern frontier of the Himalaya und can endure the winter there burrowed. People living there grab 'em out and eat 'em. Pests in rice fields, feed on roots and leaves.

Specimen found in Bangladesh up to 51 mm (Carapax width; female: 52 mm), nocturne and omnivorous; feed on remnants of other crabs, molluscs, insects, vegetation and detritus, hunt small aquatic animals.

Propagation begins with the rainy season and they "lay eggs" at the end of spring. In dry times the female carry eggs and juveniles until it is wet enough for them and they all come clear. In the dry season they dig burrows in clay near the water, which are sealed with mud.

In the habitat description it is stated that they live benthic and are abundant in shallow water bodies such as rice fields, canals and ponds, rarely in rivers.

Widespread in India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Myanmar.

If caught for human and aquaculture feed, farmers eat it fried, and as medicine for asthma diseases. Nowadays, they are also known as poultry feed and fertilizer use.

Ecological Role: Important to maintain the aquatic balance as scavengers and hunters.

Ah Smile

Well done Ollie! I looked for a couple of those for a friend, 1-2 years ago. He had them some years ago and they are true freshwater and can be bred without salty water. Unfortunately I couldnt get hold of these animals.

I read in an article of Ng, that there are around 1300-1800 different kinds of true freshwater crabs in the world.

I do hope we will get to know a couple of them^^
Gruß!

Hans-Jürgen Günter
aka Püffi
Ihr sucht ein Buch über Krabben? Hier ist es:

Die Krabbenfibel, Von Monika Rademacher & Ollie Mengedoht, erschienen im Dähne Verlag
-----------
Aqua-Terrarium.de hat für immer geschlossen. Die Landzonen gibt es weiterhin hier:
http://www.aquarien-schrank.de/epages/62...s/Landzone
good that these have now been identified, great info. I may be able to get this species when its warmer hopefully. I think I recognise seing that scientific name on a site selling crabs before?
Yes, here: http://www.panzerwelten.de/forum/showthr...06#pid5306 ist the link (same sub-forum) Icon_wink
I thought I recognised it. Yesterday I noticed "rusty crabs" on this UK price list, though they are listed as Uca sp. I guess they may be misidentified. They also have Panther River Crabs and Matano Purple River Crabs, Im guessing they would be Paratelphusa pantherina and Syntripsa matannensis or flavichella?

http://www.tropicalfishfinder.co.uk/dbim...ST(37).xls

If they still have them I'll be ordering at least some of the Panther River Crabs, and maybe some of the other species.

Kontakt | PANZERWELTEN.de | Nach oben | | Archiv-Modus | RSS-Synchronisation

Achtung: Für alle Fotos auf dieser Domain gilt: Urheber- und alle anderen Rechte (soweit nicht anders vermerkt) bei Oliver Mengedoht, alle Bilder und Bildschirm-Hintergründe sind ausschließlich zur privaten Nutzung freigegeben! Jegliche sonstige oder kommerzielle Nutzung ist ohne ausdrückliche Genehmigung des Bildautors nicht genehmigt!

Keine Veröffentlichung (ob Print, Internet oder andere Medien) ohne Absprache und Autorenhinweis!
(Veröffentlichung ohne Autorennennung: 100 % Aufschlag nach Tarif.  Veröffentlichung ohne Absprache: 400 % Aufschlag nach Tarif)

Sie haben Fragen oder wollen ein oder mehrere Bilder veröffentlichen? Gerne, nach Rücksprache mit mir:
Oliver Mengedoht

-Fotograf & Journalist-
Richard-Wagner-Straße 18, 45657 Recklinghausen
 -----
E-Mail:foto@oliver-mengedoht.de
Internet: www.oliver-mengedoht.de=====
St.Nr.: 212/5158/0643