PANZERWELTEN-FORUM

Normale Version: What species can it be?
Du siehst gerade eine vereinfachte Darstellung unserer Inhalte. Normale Ansicht mit richtiger Formatierung.
Hi!
I´ve got a bit of hazard here. Both of my gecarcinus quadratus died suddenly. No idea why....
My son filled the tank with frogs instead...
However, I was in a petstore yesterday for other reasons.
They are shutting down the place and wants to get rid of the animals.
I found a nice crab hidden in a corner, they have no idea what species it is. Now it lives in a vivarium with 50% water and 50% land. It looks like a Parathelphusa pantherina, but is way to big, like 5cm over carapace, and lives most ashore.
Beautiful crab, and I really don´t want them to kill it.
I´m gonna bring it home this weekend and try to find an empty aquarium for her.
What can it be???
(Wednesday, 19. June 2013, 23:27)pinoccio schrieb: [ -> ]It looks like a Parathelphusa pantherina, but is way to big, like 5cm over carapace

Hi,

that's well within the range of size of this species so it might just be a P. pantherina.
Parathelphusa pantherina is rather unique with its colouring, so it should be recognizable if it is one. But its rather unusual that it lives on the land.

Does it look like this?
[Bild: 2009-02-04__DSC3931.jpg]
It COULD be Heterochelamon tessellatum, a new species described lately which is now in the trade. Pics would be very helpful.
Hi!
You guys are absolutley right, it IS a Parathelphusa pantherina.
I just didn´t knew they could be that big.
She´s pretty shy, but is still climbing a lot ashore as long as no one is to close to the aquarium.
She eats well and seems to be pleased. Smile
Good luck then!

I am still astonished the crab is so much ashore. Thats quite unusual for p. pantherina. How warm is the water? Are there any other inhabitants in the water?
Thanks!

No, she is alone in that tank. Temperature, like 24c.